fredag 30 januari 2009

TREES PLANTED WITH CARE AND JOY

LAST SUNDAY EXCURSION
I write this also for my friends in Jaisalmer therefore in English.
After two months it's high time to come out to desertvillages to experience some modern Rainwater-harvesting-structures.So in the socialworker's jeep we went out in the wild
A house quite newly built, or changed from mud to stonehouse, Notice the flat roof and the waterpipe coming out from it.When Moonsoonrain comes this pipe will be connected with a plastic tunnel which ends in the reservoir on top of the platform.
This water can last for one season if it has been a good moonsoon. When it is finished the sweetwaterwell is about 2 km. away.So the women have to go this way to fetch drinkingwater..But - "No, they don't," a man tells us in perfect English, "Here they are more modern. They don't want to go so far so we buy water from a tanktruck"He says prodly
When I see the camels standing there- waiting, I understand that in this village there is some welth, because of camelsafaris for tourists. That's also why this man speaks so good English
THE SETTLEMENT GULOO KHAN KI DHANI
Finally I will see the treeplantation which has been done in last August.This is a result of the money I could collect from Swedish individuals and groups.Half of the money I gave last year to another project, and for different reasons it was very badly done.I was very unhappy and kept the rest of the money to give them to the SKSS, The socialworkers, whose work I find very reliable. Now this was happy moments when the treeplantation would be "inspected"What a surprise!There was a womengroup waiting for us.I got this orange dot on my forehead, with thre riceseeds in it, symbolising happiness and wealth. Then the women started to sing a song with great intensity. I could listen moved and happy!
There was the small school with 29 children in the youngest classes. Around the school a stonewall was made, a perfect protection from winds and sandstorms.Inside this wall the trees were planted. Different sorts of trees which are useful in many ways. I know the Neem-tree from which we get fodder for animals,it is also natural biocide against insects.It's useful for antibacterial purposes. Once I saw a man running from the nighttrain, grab a small stick of a neemtree,jumping up the train, starting to brush his teeth with the broken piece of wood.Neem is from the beanfamily, it gives also nutrition to the soil.It's important to dig rather deep and wide holes to protect the plants
Here are ND from SKSS the Socialworkers, the teacher in the school and the villagechief.Proudly they show how the plants are growing and how well they are treated.I'm sure they can imagine how there will be a ring of trees around the schoolyard. In five years, ND says, but He is an optimist.
On our way up to the village I found this beautyful "Still Life"So important for life in desert.
In this village there are only 15 families and about 256 inhabitants totally.We could visit some of the families.And here I got so happy! I realised that they, that is Kulwinder had introduced my idea from last year! To let every family plant a tree to give care and love to.This tree could grow more quick if it could be planted where the water from the household was rinning.And yes, Here this little idea was implemented!also together with a kitchengarden
Here is the mother of the teacher with her treeplanting in the wastewater!


"Is she a gardener?" the teacher said when I started to take away the too many carrotplants- "You may use it with the rice," I said about the small plants.


And now came the very joyful end of the visit.We got to meet the women and children all dressed in their best clothes.We were served sweets, water and tee and the women sung a song. And I answered by singing Lovely is the Eart, wonderful is God's Heaven...the old Swedish psalm,which I love and remember from my childhood.
Which was the first song that appeared in my mind.
I felt happy and rich when we returned to Jaisalmer in the afternoonsunshine.
There will be a short next blog...
Elsa

Inga kommentarer: